Monday, August 17, 2009

My studio!

I have some fun news.

In addition to working with some pretty great clients lately, I have been hired to shoot three, (yes, THREE) upcoming cookbooks.

Yeah, it pretty much rocks. :)

Now, I am not going to talk too much about the books yet, (basically because I am not sure I am allowed to talk about them right now) but I'm sure I'll be blabbing on and on about them in the very near future. For two of the three projects, I don't begin shooting until next spring. As it says on my website, I am very much a documentary food photographer-- I like capturing the behind the scenes action when it comes to food production-- and in the two projects next year, I'll get to do a LOT of that.

The third book, however, is being shot in the next few months, and it's going to be primarily shots of ingredients and finished recipes. So, my little in-home studio that has been used for maternity and newborn shoots has been transformed into a food studio. As all photographers out there know, it can be difficult to shoot product on location; the lighting can be tricky, the props can be lacking, etc.
So, it makes my life and my clients' lives much easier if I have a reliable space in which to do my styled food shots, hence the "new" studio.

Never, in my wildest dreams, did I think I would get to buy pretty kitchen supplies AND GET TO WRITE THEM OFF!!!! Seriously! It's really a dream come true.

Below are some shots of my little space. It gets lovely light, and is the new home for the antique table I found, as well as some other cool pieces of furniture and a growing collection of dishware, linens, flatware, and pretty much any other kitchen thing you can think of. There is still some work to be done; I need to soften the window light with some vellum, add some more draping options, as well as a few other things.
Overall, though, this place makes me so happy. I go in there throughout the day and I just smile.

Oh, and yes, there is a chaise in there, which may confuse some people. I still use this space for maternity shoots, and that chaise is quite a hit with the pregnant ladies. :)










11 comments:

Tiff said...

I am seriously so jealous! Congrats! Love the style and furniture.

Sunny Kobe Cook said...

You are amazing! You can even make bowls and napkins look beautiful. I'm sure I will want to cook - and EAT - whatever you photograph.

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous!!

Tea said...

I am so happy for you! Congratulations, this is the payoff for not letting the fears hold you back. Watch out world! You are amazing. xox

Anonymous said...

can I come live there? lol

Nikki said...

Awesome, Clare! It looks beautiful, of course. And I love that table.

Mama Gardener said...

Clare its fantastic! Can you come redo my house now? (just kidding!) But seriously, it looks Wonderful. Congrats!

Divina Pe said...

You have such great photos even with the simplest things. I hope to take pictures like that one day. I'm new in photography.

Joan Leonard said...

Clare, you are a trip! Who else could make a chaise look so fitting amid a kitchen setting?!! I LOVE your setup. I'm smiling just seeing the photos; I can imagine how delightful it would be to just sit and look around at that beautiful room. The furniture and dishes are gorgeous.

Would you come and help decorate my house? I AM serious.

I know this is another new beginning of the realization of your hopes and dreams, Clare. You are the ultimate Gifted Woman. Your huge talent, determination, commitment to excellence, sense of beauty, and ability to portray Truth in your work, all make you so deserving of these opportunities.

Lorna Yee said...

SO ADORABLE! I want to pull up a chair to that table and eat muffins off those plates. Then lay on the chaise and take a nap. haha. I could live in that room.

Unknown said...

LOVE the rustic blue table and white chair... and those little blue bowls. Now you get to "shop for props" - how fun!